Monday, April 21, 2008

A Roll of the Dice

The various seedlings I started back in February were really starting to show the stress of multiple months indoors in small pots. A look to the weather showed no overnight freezes for at least the next ten days or so, and that motivated me to take a chance and get the plants into the garden early. Technically I shouldn't be planting until around May 10th, but the rest of April looks to be beautiful and in the off chance early may kills off the plants I have replacements available. I spent Sunday evening potting up 74 tomato seedlings. I should have room for around 55 or so once I finish the last new bed for this year. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest.

Planting the tomatoes meant I had to setup a support system. I decided I'd try the Florida weave approach this year. It is way cheaper than cages, and looks really good in my humble opinion. I'd also like to try hanging lines down to wrap the tomato vine around at some point, but I don't think that'll happen this year.


I also direct seeded the rest of my peas around the pea tower. In the greens bed I planted carrots, lettuce, spinach, and mustard. I also finished digging out about 15 feet of the bed to the right of the tomatoes. It'll be 37 feet when its done so I still have plenty of digging left to do. This weekend I really felt like I was working in a 'real' garden. The aisles are clearly defined now and there is green stuff growing! I can't wait to see what it looks like in another month or so.

No comments: