Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Yard Update

Ironically I was so eager for the growing season all winter, but now I’m too pregnant to do much but “smell the roses”. (The baby is due at the end of this month!)



The strip along the driveway looks like a wild mess, and it is, but there are lots of good things getting themselves established amid the chaos. I am beginning to think that ornamental grass clumps are a poor choice for our flower beds at this point, though, because they so closely resemble our “lawn”.




The raspberries and strawberries are doing beautifully, which may be an indicator of what a pain they may be in future years. But the neighbors don’t mind getting raspberry bushes on their side of the fence, and for the first time I am actually able to believe that we will get some substantial quantities of food from what otherwise would have been an overheated and scrappy strip of our property. At the very least, the space will be abundantly green!



The “hello and welcome to our house” mailbox bed is a zoo of this and that, full of sporadic blooms. I imagine within a few years the plants that can tolerate the dry hot conditions will thrive and unify it. In the mean time, I suspect this bed tells all who walk by that we are spontaneous and enthusiastic people who would happily invite you in despite the dirty dishes piled up in the sink.



Orange is my favorite color, but this is pushing it! We stuck an ugly bucket under the air-conditioning drip to use for watering plants, and darned if it hasn’t produced an abundance of water. Next to that are pots that followed me home from yard-sales, filled with herbs.

The garden has far to go, but I sure do love the learning process!

No comments: