Friday, June 4, 2010

At Open Spaces Park: American Chestnut?



At the Open Spaces park, I revisited what I had thought was an American chestnut tree last year. According to the identification page of the Massachusetts chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation, it looks like one. But given the small size of this one, it is likely just regrowth from a blight-infected tree, and of no use to the breeding program, because the blight will just kill the above-ground growth again before it reaches breeding size.

Nonetheless, it gives me goosebumps. I so want this tree brought back from the edge of extinction.

2 comments:

Matt DiLeo said...

So cool! I think the breeding groups are getting pretty close to releasing resistant varieties. I can't wait to plant some! Too bad I think the chestnuts themselves are gross...

Michelle Clay said...

I can't wait, too! And I need to find the other breeding site that's near my town, so I can go for a visit. Sorry you don't like chestnuts. :D