Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cactus in Massachusetts



Who would have thought that the most exciting plant in the yard would be cactus? This is Opuntia humifusa, prickly pear cactus, and it has been growing at an amazing rate. See that lower paddle with the spikes that all the new growth is coming from? That was what I stuck in the ground just a couple of months ago. It now has three new paddles (with sweet, soft nubbins instead of spines) and three - three! - great big flower buds.

I still have a hard time believing that this plant is native to Massachusetts, but it is.

This is just one of six potted plants that I bought from EasyWildflowers.com, and the quality of both their plants and shipping methods have been phenomenal. I highly recommend them as a mail-order source of native plants.

I'll have to write more about the desert flower bed later. . .

2 comments:

Darlene! said...

Cool! The cactus looks nice and healthy in your area. They grow wild where I live along with a lot of other ouchy plants.

Michelle Clay said...

Thanks D!