Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Another Opinion on Pesticides and Bees

Mat Kinase, a.k.a. the Scientist Gardener, kindly shared his dissenting opinion for me on the recent news about a possible connection between pesticides and bee deaths. Thanks Matt! I love reading both sides to an issue, when both sides are being rational and logical.

Here's an excerpt:

"Aside from the fact that this registration [of the pesticide in question] was completed in 2004 and (according to the same article) this whole bee business started in the mid-1990s, I'm skeptical that any new pesticide is causing all this. We were SO much more indiscriminate and profligate with our agricultural sprays and industrial dumping in past decades (and with much more dangerous chemicals) than we are now - it seems a funny time for a problem to pop up."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the links lately. I am so interested in peat use and bees. You have provided invaluable sources. I read the Garden Rant post too because of you.

Michelle Clay said...

My pleasure! Cheers!