Friday, February 4, 2011

This and That

There's a nice post at the Garden Professors explaining how this amazing string of winter storms is evidence for, not against, the presence of global warming.

(We're looking at another storm tomorrow, and then yet another during the week. I've finally had my fill of snow. Waking up at night with the sudden fear that the roof will fall in is not nice. Neither do I like seeing water trickle in the kitchen window as it melts. But on the bright side, we have one icicle hanging from the second story which has almost connected with the snow bank beneath it. That's kinda cool.)

Here is a website that I liked for the first thirty seconds. Heirloom seeds, ooh shiny! But it's full of predictable, unscientific ranting about GMO seeds, crops, and foods. Enough already. The world is going to need both approaches to food production. Get over it.

To add insult to injury, I popped over to their recipe section and found it to be entirely unhelpful in my quest to compile a Food Bank cookbook. While what they offer looks delicious, it's aimed at well-off foodies who can afford shrimp, fancy spices, and stick blenders. If I were living on food stamps, I wouldn't give them a second glance.

I would love to try the Food Stamp Challenge, but it will have to wait until I am no longer pregnant. Some members of Congress took the challenge a few years back.

UPDATE: Chris has found a quick, temporary solution to our ice dam problem! This is the best use of panty hose I have ever seen!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I have a stick blender. It was cheap :)

Michelle Clay said...

Molly, to someone who can't afford a week's worth of groceries, a stick blender is very expensive.